Thursday, January 24, 2008

Why I hate Valentines

I've always said "I hate valentines. It's so stupid." My reasoning behind this has always been that Vday is so commercialized, and if someone is going to tell me they love me why should they have to wait to do so on the one day of the year that someone is telling them to say it? Why can't they do something sweet and romantic another day of the year - it would mean a lot more then, right? But as this day draws near again I realize the real root of why I hate valentines so much. Besides the fact that I'm not a fan of teddy bears (or any stuffed animal for that matter), red roses, or hearts - I hate Valentines because it's always a let down. When I'm single I think "oh, maybe my mom or good guy friend will call and want to do something special today." And when I'm in a relationship I begin thinking of things to do for that person weeks in advance. Like today, for instance, I was reading things like: "Simple ways to make Valentines sweet and romantic at home." or "Creative way to tell that special someone just how much you care." But as I read these things I realize I'm doing it again. I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I start to think "oh maybe he will think of these things" .... but in the end I know it won't be that way. Partly it's my fault for ever telling him that I think Valentines is ridiculous - I know that. Maybe I am a romantic despite me always believing and saying I'm not.

I'm not writing this as a secret or hinting way of letting someone know what I want for Valentines, I'm merely writing it because I've finally realized why I've always hated it. The let down. I guess it's time to suck it up, put my big girl panties on, and realize that my romantic day that I dream in my head may never come true. And ultimately I think I'm okay with that. maybe. :)