Thursday, May 22, 2008

Perceptions

There is this commercial on the radio that is put on by one of the local churches here in the area. The commercial is pretty much alway the same - it's the pastor of the church telling some story, or giving a token of advice. The story is always ended w/ a moral. They are usually pretty cheesy, but this morning it was actually pretty insightful and it got me thinking. Here's the story and the pastor's words of wisdom:


A young man and woman were engaged to be married. The night before the wedding the young man looked at his fiancee and said "honey, when we get married is it ok if I still date other women? And sleep with other women? Is it ok if I'm out at the bars every night getting drunk?" The woman looked at him shockingly while he said "I will still love you and that will just give you that many more reasons to forgive me."

Christians often take this approach with God. They say "Lord, now that I am yours, is it ok for me to sin all that I want - anytime I want? I will still love you and that will just give you that many more reasons for you to be able to forgive me." It is very common for us to think "what can I get away with and still go to heaven?" Just as you would never go into a marriage looking for loopholes and ways to dishonor your spouse, you should also never look at your relationship with the Lord in that way either.

What a good point! Way to go Rick Kershaw!

No comments: